Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Inspiration (9)


"Books won't stay banned.  They won't burn.
Ideas won't go to jail
."
Alfred Whitney Griswold, Essays on Education

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.
Books are well written, or badly written.  That is all."
Oscar Wilde,  The Picture of Dorian Gray

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."
Oscar Wilde





Sunday Inspiration is a weekly feature hosted here @ Read Love.
It began from my desire to share a nugget of encouragement or wisdom.
I didn't intend for it to be a community thing, but due to positive feedback,
I'm giving it a try! (Thanks, Kate)

Participation is welcome!
Your quote need not be faith-based, but it should be positive and uplifting.

2 comments:

  1. My favourite one there has to be the one by Oscar Wilde, but I don't know if I necessarily agree with it 100% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kate I'm guessing you mean the quote in the middle. I look at it like TV violence or anything else, there may be something I dislike in a book, and I tend to steer clear of that, but if we start limiting the printed word or banning books, we're on a very slippery slope. Books only reflect humanity, the good, the bad, and sometimes the ugly. That's where the 3rd quote comes in.

    ReplyDelete